Friday, July 30, 2010

WHITEFISH BAY .... A WAR STORY...

Today I ended a two week period in which I had one day off. (Sunday) I have had no time to asses the damage from the July 29th storm which destroyed our two room tree-house in the woods we own, as well as snapping a second mighty oak tree in half nearby. In two weeks I have slept ony 47 hours. My time has been in Whitefish Bay north of Milwaukee helping thousands of people whose homes were flooded in storms the prior week. My company lost fifteen hundred dollars when a home we were drying re-flooded. This month will be looked back at as a time when war stories were burned into my memory. I have seen natures’ wrath up close once again. Tomorrow I will scout the property for more damage which may be lurking in damaged trees ready to fall etc. The opportunities to witness have been extraordinary. I have seen a side of people no one wants to see: deep multiple losses and their homes, uninhabitable. Family treasures at the curb, being taken by garbage collectors and the collectors of garbage. I can’t remember praying more than I have the last two weeks. It has been profound.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh My Eman!! You are such an inspiration! You are doing the Lord's work, helping those in need. Please rest, though. Don't work yourself to death and get overly exhausted so it makes you sick. May God continue to be with you as you help those who experienced the wrath of the storm. God Bless you and your family.

Eric Graff said...

This has been a most intriguing time. I have seen the elites brought to knees and tears of a young man who lost his stuffed bear. It makes me feel humble to see this kind of devastation and had barely lived through it myself. I have more tree damage than I can list here, but none as bad as the oak next to my sons’ room which was cracked but did not fall. Had it fallen, we would be homeless now, if we all survived.