Thursday, June 25, 2009

KEEPING THE LAMPS FILLED


What a tragic week this has been for us here in America and for many around the globe.

The loss of pop king Michael Jackson leaves most shaking their heads wondering why, at age 50 and in rehearsals for a tour, he was discovered without a pulse and rushed to the hospital to die just a few hours later. Though I was never a big fan of his music, as a DJ I played it a lot, and people could not sit still when it was played.

The loss of Farrah Fawcett, who’s struggle with cancer was a public long good-by, is just as heart wrenching. The award winning actress was rare combination of beauty and strength. She graced my bedroom wall just as she did in thousands of teenagers bedrooms in the early and mid 70’s.

Personally I am watching the mother of my best friend die from a brain aneurism so large the doctors in Madison’s best hospital were at a loss to explain what the tests were showing. The woman should be dead from a brain hemorrhage more than twice the size any of the doctors had ever seen. But there she was with only a noticeable shake in her left hand. The former mayor of Delavan now is in the Nero- Intensive Care Unit and struggling to recover.

The tragedy of tornado victims in Kenosha County was in my face all week as I worked 16-18 hour days removing bits and pieces of peoples lives from their homes and cleaning up basements filled with water, sewage and belongings of those caught in its path. It was hard for these people to come to grips with their loss and in many cases I was the only Jesus they saw in this dark time. My attempts to reflect God’s love at a time they were asking why God could allow such a thing was a challenge only made easier by reflecting on God’s word each day when I rose from sleep and began again to try and help those hardest hit. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Rodolo’s and Sandra’s who have lost so much and search for the way back to normalcy.

God is coming back. Sometimes it would seem He is sending signs. The fact is, He continues to remind us to keep high the oil in our lamps, for no one knows when the Master returns. God be with you all.

No comments: